Serving you at every turn
Together we turned catastrophe into recovery.
- Over $2 billion paid in catastrophe claims
- Over 800 thousand catastrophe calls answered by Member Service Representatives
- 220 drone flights used to survey unreachable homes
- The Temkin Group’s highest customer service rating in bank, credit card and insurance industries1
- Almost $4 million paid to members using the new self-service digital payment tool for food spoilage claims
Find your car at your price.
Strength in numbers
Maintaining financial strength to better serve you.
- Over $1.5 billion returned to members and customers in distributions, dividends, bank rebates and rewards
- Nearly $15 billion in total claims paid out
- Over $30 billion in total net worth
- $30 billion in total revenue
- Highest possible ratings for our property and casualty insurance group: A++ rating by A.M. Best Company, Aaa by Moody’s Investors Service and AA+ by Standard and Poor’s3
Includes distributions, dividends, bank rebates and rewards.4
Net worth is a key measure of our ability to meet our commitments. A higher net worth enables us to fund current and future operations, to cover regulatory and rating agency requirements and carry out our mission.
Dear Fellow Members,
I often think about what sets USAA apart from competitors. The answer is…
Dear Fellow Members,
I often think about what sets USAA apart from competitors. The answer is simple: Our mission is not just words. Rather, it is the basis for a culture of service that drives all employees, from newly hired member service representatives to seasoned executives. Everyone at USAA is committed to keeping members first every day, and in every way.
Staying true to our mission was never more important than in 2017, the largest catastrophe loss year in USAA’s history. As hurricanes and wildfires threatened millions of Americans, employees concentrated on serving members in need. To be Chairman of an association that is so dedicated to the mission — and to you — makes me very proud.
Your Security is Our Priority
Caring about members reaches beyond physical hazards like weather. USAA also works to remain far in front of the cybersecurity issues that threaten an increasingly digital world. I am delighted to share that those efforts resulted in a “Best in Class” award from Javelin Strategy & Research for the 2017 Account Safety in Banking Scorecard. USAA also ranked No. 1 across 28 of the largest financial institutions in fraud prevention, detection and resolution.
USAA’s rock-solid financial foundation enables employees to focus on members. Despite the historic year of claims, our net worth grew to more than $30 billion; we returned more than $1.5 billion in distributions, dividends, bank rebates and rewards; and employees, retirees, USAA, The USAA Foundation, Inc. and The USAA Real Estate Company donated about $5 million to disaster relief. In addition, membership grew steadily to 12.4 million, further strengthening USAA’s future.
Serving members well requires two-way communication. We are pleased to share our association’s results through this report. We also promise to continue to listen intently and respond to your needs, whether you share online, or via phone and paper channels. Your needs drive what we do, so please keep in touch.
Thank you for being a loyal USAA member and for trusting us to serve you.
Lester L. LylesGeneral, USAF (Ret.)Chairman of the Board
Dear Fellow Members,
The devastating wildfires and hurricanes of 2017 produced unprecedented…
Dear Fellow Members,
The devastating wildfires and hurricanes of 2017 produced unprecedented damage and heartbreaking losses for thousands of members. Through it all, USAA employees were there, advising, listening, reacting and serving. In many cases we were side by side with members, picking up the pieces of destroyed homes and vehicles, and working to restore hope and rebuild dreams. USAA cared for more than 287,000 members’ catastrophe claims. Our mission is most clear during times like these; service is at our core.
Employees also demonstrated their concern for others by volunteering approximately 450,000 hours to help people in need. Together, employees and retirees contributed almost $11 million in charitable donations throughout the year.
You Are Our Top Priority
Our talented member service representatives answered nearly 85 million calls, and nine times out of 10, members said they were extremely satisfied. We always aim to do even better, regardless of whether you call, use USAA’s mobile app or contact us online. We promise to keep improving our service options and staffing appropriately to make every interaction easier and more efficient.
Innovating for Members
Because member needs and expectations evolve, we welcome your valuable input, especially in the area of innovation. Feedback based on your experiences and unique impressions will benefit other members and fuel the association’s future. Log in at usaalabs.com to see what is in the works and to share your thoughts.
Our commitment to members is as strong today as it was at our founding in 1922, and carries forward. Thank you for the privilege to serve you. Your trust means everything.
Keeping you secure
Your security is our priority.
- Almost $3.2 billion in fraud loss prevented
- Don’t forget, as a USAA member you can receive FREE credit check monitoring provided by Experian5
- WiFi is great, but remember, it is not always secure without a required password
- “Best In Class” award in 2017 Account Safety in Banking Scorecard by Javelin Strategy & Research
Your FREE layer of fraud protection.
A personal approach to security.
Commitment throughout the community
Supporting those who serve and our local communities.
- $5 million donated to hurricane and wildfire relief efforts by USAA, The USAA Foundation, Inc., USAA Real Estate Company and USAA employees and retirees
- 2017 Corporate Responsibility Champion Award from the Council of Corporate Responsibility and National Diversity Council
- Nearly 450 thousand hours volunteered by USAA employees
- Over 53% of all philanthropic dollars benefited military families
Military family resiliency and local community needs.
Financial education for the military community.
Innovation on the horizon
Together with members like you, we’re shaping the future of financial services.
- Over 15 thousand hours spent in 2017 developing virtual assistants that will understand you and can quickly assist you around the clock
- 300+ partnerships were explored with leading tech companies to develop smarter, hyper connected capabilities wherever you may be
- $300 thousand invested in Bunker Labs to support military veterans and spouses in their entrepreneurial pursuits
- 9 thousand innovative ideas being explored to help you thrive as the financial world changes
- Award-winning & industry-leading innovations9
The future starts with you.
Giving technology a personal touch.
Service is our culture
Serving the U.S. Military and their families is more than our mission. It’s our DNA.
- 7 thousand employees received tuition benefits to learn new skillsets and serve you better
- Over 25% of new hires in 2017 were veterans, military spouses and domestic partners
- Employees participate in simulated military training to better understand what it means to serve
- Ranked No. 2 for Military Friendly® Company10